Thursday 7 April 2011

Don't forget the vaseline

Anyone who knows me will understand my obsessive need to make lists, be prepared and have a plan to cover every eventuality. I've been resisting the urge to gather all my kit together for the big day as I knew it would only compound my nerves, but with ten days to go I decided this was as late as I could leave it. So here goes...

  • When I head down to Greenwich Park it will be early morning, so I plan to have a few additional layers that I will discard before the start - old fleece, spare socks, bin liner in case of rain (apparently they keep you warm, and make a good disposable rain mac!)

  • I will, of course, have my running kit. I've trialled calf length leggings but found them a bit uncomfortable after 12+ miles, so will probably opt for my trusty long running trousers. (I wouldn't want to wear shorts - other runners would be put off their stride, and small children watching in the crowds could be permanently mentally scarred by the sight.)

  • My trainers are Asics gels. They've done about 150 miles so have plenty of support left in them

  • I'm opting for Hilly Mono anti-blister socks. They're the best I've found so far.

  • I've been using Moleskin sore-spot sheets, cut to size, under the balls of my feet to help the blister situation, and use regular strips of plaster around most toes to stop any rubbing

  • In my waist bag will be my inhaler (just in case), some dextrose and fudge, some tissues, a bit of cash and my phone

  • My trusty Garmin GPS watch. I've been warned that this might well play up around Canary Wharf with all the tall buildings, but I hope for the rest of the course it will help me set my pace - especially in the first few miles when it will be tempting to head out too fast

  • And last, but most importantly, I'll have my personalised Asthma UK t-shirt. I'm told the crowds cheering your name really helps - especially in the final few miles. I hope they cheer loudly for me!

I'm sure I'll add to the list as the days go on, and then pare it all down the night before. For the first time, I won't need to carry my own water from the outset as it will be handed out around the course.


So this is what my kit looks like. Now, where did I put that list....

No comments: