Friday 15 April 2011

London calling

We set off early this morning and arrived safely in London at 10am. The hotel we are booked into is within view of the nearest underground station. We headed straight there to check out train times for getting to the marathon, only to be told that the station would be closed over the weekend for repair works. Please be impressed that I didn't scream, cry or stamp my feet (even though I felt like doing all three!) I'm assured that regular buses will be running, and I can rejoin the train further down the line. Phew!

With that sorted, we headed straight to the Expo. The BBC 'marathon music' was playing as we walked in, and suddenly it was all very real.

First stop was picking up my running number, kit bag, timing chip and final instructions. I'll be starting in pen 9 at the Red start in Greenwich Park.

With the technical details sorted, we spent a couple of hours wandering around the various stalls. It's a runners paradise, and although I could have happily spent a small fortune I restricted myself to buying an official London Marathon 2011 hoodie.

It was exciting to go to the Asthma UK stand and meet the team. I had my photo taken, and I was given a rain mac - although the forecast suggests that it won't be necessary this year.

After the Expo we headed into central London and enjoyed a mini sight seeing tour, starting at the Houses of Parliament. We made our way across to Horseguards Parade to make sure we knew where we will be meeting up on Sunday, and found out where we need to go afterwards so that I can get my massage and food, courtesy of Asthma UK.

We had an evening meal in Picadilly Circus - a bit more carb loading! - and then headed back to the hotel for a well deserved sit down.

In 36 hours time I will be at the start line. I feel like I'm in the middle of a very strange dream at the moment, but I'm quite enjoying it, so please don't wake me up just yet!

No comments: