Friday 1 April 2011

Preparation, preparation, preparation

The nearer it gets to the date of the marathon (now only just 16 days to go!!!) the more I find myself trawling the internet for scraps of information.
Out of interest, I googled 'London Marathon Elevation Chart', and although the one I found was for 2007, the course hasn't changed that much since then.

It isn't the clearest image, but hopefully you'll get the idea. Overall, it's a fairly flat course. The first six miles are a gentle downward slope, and it would be really easy to get carried away with the crowd and go too fast during the first quarter. The biggest uphill are at miles 19 and 23, so I'll need to prepare for those.

We've also started looking at possible meeting up points. Hubby is quite keen to head straight to Cutty Sark early in the day, watch the elite runners fly past, and then see me trundle by a fair while later. It then looks like a short hop onto the Isle of Dogs (for hubby...not me!) and hopefully there'll be chance to spot me at mile 15 and 20, where the course doubles back on itself.


Anything after mile 20 seems a bit too fanciful to contemplate, although careful rendezvousing at the end will be required, as I don't think I'll be able to do anything for myself if I get as far as the finish line!

No comments: